Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Those damned hills...again!

W3D1 is done, but I am going to repeat it on Thursday. I didn't finish either of the 3 minute runs. I tried the hills that I had so much trouble on the other day and it seemed like the hills were dragging me down. I couldn't make it up AGAIN. I took my dog, Stanley, with me this time as well and he was just wild. Pulling on the leash and making me do things that threw my pace and timing off. It wasn't fun with him, so he wont come out with me again. 


This whole thing started out OK during my 5 minute warm up. Back felt fine, but I DID have a little pain in my knee. Kept walking and that pain eventually went away. Started my first run of 1.5 minutes and felt decent...breathing was good, pace was so-so, but I was moving forward. After my walk break, i started my first of two 3 minute runs. It just happened to be that the first three minute run STARTED at the base of the hill that is my nemesis. I made it about two thirds of the way up, at a very slow pace, and had to stop. I thought my heart was coming out of my chest.
Started on my three minute walk and was breathing really heavy. I haven't had this much trouble since W1D1. My legs gave out, my back started really hurting, my breathing was erratic. I didn't think i was going to make it back home. It took ALL of that three minutes to catch my breath. Made it through the next 1.5 minute run and then came the big three minute last run.
Oh boy...I think I talked myself out of finishing the last three minute run before I ever started it. I was SURE I wouldn't finish it. Needless to say, I didn't. Had thirty seconds left on the run and just couldn't go. I stopped and limped my beaten ass on back to the house. 
Even though I didn't finish the run, I still got a great workout and I ran for over 2.5 minutes on both of the 3 minute runs. My heart rate was way up and my lungs and legs were on fire! I hate that I didn't finish the runs, but I love that feeling after a hard workout!

I think I can get it done on Thursday without the hills and without Stanley. We will see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Allen - last week I went back to the road where I did my C25K. OMG the hills! I can't believe I started my running journey there! I usually run on a flat beach path now - no traffic, not as many hills. But hills are good for you - learn to love the hills (maybe after you get a bit fitter!).

    ReplyDelete