Saturday, August 20, 2011

what a long strange week it's been...

This week started out last Sunday with my last post about how tough that run was. It ends up, that was the last run I would do this past week. It all had to do with the job situation.

If you remember, I was flown to Dallas, Texas last Sunday to start a new job. Well, Tuesday, I was on a bus headed back to Atlanta. It seems that even though a doctor said that I was medically cleared to drive, the company doctor wouldn't give me a medical card because of my A1C (I'm a diabetic). Now, mind you, my sugar was normal with a finger stick and there was NOT A TRACE of glucose in my urine, but this doctor was playing hardball. But I digress.

Anyway, fast forward to Thursday after I get off of the bus that I had been on for the past 32 hours and I apparently contracted a virus of some sort from the degenerates on the bus. Depressed, pissed off, and sick so I didn't run Thursday or Friday. My breathing wasn't that good so I didn't attempt to run at all.

Today I woke up really early (6:30) and decided that I was still sick and wasn't going to run today, either...that would have been more than four days with no run this week. Around 12:00 this afternoon, I got the urge to just run, so I grabbed the iPhone, put on my shoes, and headed out the door.

I did 1.75 miles today on essentially W1D3 of the c25k program that I am doing. Never thought I would be able to walk/run that far, but apparently I did, according to my Nike+ app. The run itself was uneventful except for a little pain in my left knee during the first run section. I couldn't figure out why it was hurting, but it was. The pain went away after the second run section and I settled in to a nice stride. I actually felt comfortable with my own running after that second section and the runs were smooth, not clunky like the past two days of running.

I did have a little lower back pain near the end of the run, but I always expect that. One thing that I didn't anticipate was when the lady on my c25k app said to stop running on my last leg and begin my cool down walk, I was headed down the trail back to my house and just as I started to walk, I hit a downhill. That didn't go over to well with my legs. I almost took a spill, but held it together.

My cool down walk was UPHILL...and it was the hardest thing I had to do today. I almost sat down and refused to even try it, but I kept walking until I got home...just as my five minute cool down was ending.

In all, today was a good day...and hey, I don't even feel sick any longer. It's amazing what a decent run will do for you.

1 comment:

  1. I used the same program to begin running. I had to redo a few weeks because I wasn't able to run as much as called for, but it was great to have a written plan to motivate me. Wishing you all the best in your running journey!

    ReplyDelete