Sunday, August 14, 2011

Week 1 Day 2 of c25k or...MY GOD this was tough!

Today was TOUGH!

I started out the day on an airplane headed to my new job in Wilmer, Texas from Atlanta. My alarm clock went off at 5:30 this morning because I was going to get up and do my run before I left. I hit the snooze...or so I thought. I actually turned OFF my alarm and woke up way late with just enough time to get to the airport for my flight. Needless to say, I didn't get my run in this morning.

Fast forward six hours and the scene has now changed from the hot, humid climate of Atlanta, Ga to the hot...make that SCORCHING hot, humid climate of Dallas, Tx. I land and get to the terminal where I am supposed to do a sleep study tonight and get a truck tomorrow to head out. I think to myself while I am waiting, may as well get my run in now. That was dumb!

I set out on the yard and did my warm up 5 minutes and thought, "man it is a little warm here". Warm was replaced by 105 degrees.

"Start running...now" says the lady in my earphones. Here we go...one foot in front of the other..."man, my legs are sore"...pick em up and put em down..."it's only been THIRTY SECONDS???"..."you may walk now" said the lady.

"Thank GOD I can walk", I think. Im already winded and my lungs are on FIRE.

"Start running in 10 seconds"

"WAIT!...it hasnt been a minute and a half"!

"Start running...now"

This went on for the next twenty minutes...the British lady in my earphones telling me to walk and I thank her and then she tells me to run and Im cursing her out. By the time I get to run number six, I am DONE. Im spent...Im out of breath, legs sore and wobbly, lungs wont work, sweat pouring from my pores like a hose. I think that there is no way I can make two more of these runs in these conditions...

"Start running...NOW"!

Without thinking, I picked one foot up and moved it forward and the other one followed. I tried to breath and found that I COULD bring air into my lungs, even if it DID feel like i was breathing in volcano ash. My legs were heavy, barely was I able to pick them up, but I did. My mind said stop, im gonna die, but my body didn't agree.

I finished that run. I finished it because I would not let myself stop. I refused to quit. I found something inside of me to push through it. I found something inside of me that I didn't think that I had.

Im proud of myself...but boy it was ROUGH!

4 comments:

  1. It's great hearing about your new dedication to running! Looking forward to the Race Report of your first 5k!!

    -Melissa (also an Atlanta Braves fan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allen, you're doing it and as everyone knows, there's nothing to it but to do it! I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you, can't say its going to get easier, but when the run is over and you're sitting at home, it sure feels a lot better than if you never got up to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mihkel and Melissa...Im already thinking about it, even though Im struggling with the c25k, lol.

    JB You are exactly right!

    Thanks to both of you for reading my blog, guys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly amazing what we can do when we DON'T listen to the voice in our heads, isn't it! Go Allen!

    ReplyDelete