Monday, September 12, 2011

Hills and trails and knees, OH MY!


Hey guys...attempted week 4 day 3 today, but I attempted it on a trail instead of my usual flat, paved paths. Did NOT go well.

As soon as I came off of the asphalt onto the dirt, my knee popped. I thought I tore something, but after flexing and stretching it, it felt ok so I pressed on. Got about halfway through the first 5 minute run and there was a hill. A LARGE hill. Hills are my enemy, but I decided to tackle it.

As I started up, I kept saying to myself "pick your feet up...pick your feet up...". Well, I didn't pick my feet up enough. I hit a root and face planted! To make it worse, I face planted in front of someone walking down the hill. Embarrassment set in big time.

i made it up to my feet and trudged on until my lower back started giving me fits. I just locked up. Couldn't run, couldn't walk, couldn't sit...all I could do was hold on to the fence beside me until the spasm eased off. Downhearted and broken, I turned off my c25k app, turned off nike+, then limped back to the car. The wife finished her W1D3 while I limped back.

Today was NOT fun! I need to figure out what I can do to strengthen my back to keep it from tightening up on me. I know I need to lose this gut and that will help, but Im trying to do that as well. It's not coming off real fast and I need it gone like yesterday!

I think I need to walk on my off days and maybe strength train again. I used to power lift in another life and was really strong until I traded the weights for the fork. It has been 25 years since I have been in any kind of shape and this is hard trying to get BACK into shape.

5 comments:

  1. Listen to others when they say not to get discouraged over one run. Learn and get better, it's really that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not discouraged..just tired of being in this stupid pain. And hills...OH, the hills! I had no clue there were even hills ON this trail, but there were. I gotta get my back and knees stronger. Gonna try to join a gym in a few days and start working my legs again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest walking first and keep it flat to mild hills....no need kicking your own butt straight out of the gate...remember this is a lifestyle change. Keep up the great effort! Keep your mind positive as our subconscious is linked with our physical selves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They reckon the more km (or miles) you do the more you lose weight - so it doesn't matter how slow you are (even walking), it's the number of miles. So walk for an hour on your non-running days. Google back stretches - and strengthening exercises (the twisting ones really helped me last year when I hurt my back).

    You are going great :-) Eventually you will not be in pain...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am going to walk on my off days. I gotta do something to keep burning calories.

    ReplyDelete